Saturday, July 9, 2011

The days meld into a wisp of time and I can hardly keep track of the days that have passed. Like most of the Africa I have experienced the Congo is a horribly beautiful drama of heaven and hell playing out before me. Sweet singing wakes me with the early rising sun, and I go to sleep with a heavy depth that comes from watching little lives wither with disease and poverty. I have been loving every second of it though. I love the challenge of geri rigging medicine, I love learning, I love the peace of secluded jungle nights. I love the fireflies that dance across the grass at night. I love this little band of people serving the Lord with simplicity and a joy that comes from fulfilling your calling.

At the hospital I am working in the pediatrics ward and in the emergency room/ intensive care unit. Pediatrics is fun because there are beds full of sweet little ones and the ER/ICU is great because it is fast paced, a little chaotic and very challenging. In the ER we see all sorts of cases, lot’s and lot’s of malaria and all sorts of little traumas, broken arms, children hit by cars, meningitis, mumps, and typhoid. The hospital is primitive; we tie our IV bags to ropes strung across the room, paper charting of course a limited pharmacy and only enough oxygen to support two patients. We do have little wood incubators for our premature babies, a fairly comprehensive laboratory, x-ray and ultrasound.

No comments:

Post a Comment